Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has launched to critical acclaim, fast becoming Steam’s most significant launch of the year as over 100,000 players cracked into it on release. Sekiro fans have been lauding it as From Software’s best to date, but as with any good RPG, it has a bunch of collectibles that players are going to have to make sense of. You can find a bunch of these scattered around the world, but some of the most intriguing and rewarding are the treasure carp scales. Got questions about where to find these items and what they’re good for? Our Sekiro treasure carp scales guide will give you the low down.
Owing to the fact that these treasure carp are, as the name suggests, fish. They’re found in various bodies of water around the landscape of Sekiro, and their scales will have to be harvested or picked up before being brought to the various vendors in the overworld who will be more than happy to exchange them for goods.
The two notable vendors that we’re going to cover in our Sekiro treasure carp scales guide show up at various parts of the game in the following key locations: the Hirata Estate and Fountainhead Palace.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Pot Noble Harunaga
The first vendor that we’re going to cover in our Sekiro treasure carp scales guide is the vendor situated close to the Hirata Estate. You’ll find this vendor in a blue barrel, chilling out on one of the islands dotting the landscape near the old bridge in the Hirata Estate memory. Once you manage to navigate your way down there, you’ll be able to buy the following items from him:
- Floating Passage Text (5 scales): This will let you learn a combat ability that comes in handy later on; you’ll be able to chain a bunch of sword strikes.
- Mask Fragment: Right (7 scales): There are other fragments to collect in the overworld. These will let you trade in skill points that you have for attack power.
- Divine Grass (1 scale): This is the mega potion of healing items.
- Withered Red Gourd (2 scales): This refills when you rest and increases your burn resistance and buildup over time.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Pot Noble Koremori
The second vendor that we’re going to cover in our Sekiro treasure carp scales guide is the vendor that hangs around near Fountainhead Palace. Once you’ve dealt with the Palace Grounds idol, you have to exit stage left of the structure and meander around until you find a cave mouth across the way. Close the gap with your grapple and you’ll find this vendor in said cave, with the following items for sale:
- Lapis Lazuli (6 scales): This is essential for crafting at the later stages of the game. You need to use it to upgrade your prosthetic tools.
- Mask Fragment: Left (12 scales): There are other fragments to collect in the overworld. These will let you trade in skill points that you have for attack power.
- Dragon’s Blood Droplet (1 scale): This item will help push back build up of the Dragonrot.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Hirata Estate scales
The Hirata Estate area has a number of scales that can be picked up in the following places:
- There’s a group of carp in the waters where you encounter Pot Noble Harunaga.
- The large bridge close to Pot Noble Harunaga has a scale on the end of it that meets the shore.
- Head past the Bamboo Thicket Slope idol and there’s going to be a body of water on one of the plateaus to the left which will have a treasure carp.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Ashina Depths scales
The Ashina Depths area has a number of scales that can be picked up in the following places:
- Head past the Mibu Village idol and you’ll find a vendor who will sell you two scales.
- In the same place, there’s a stream that will snake down a path. Kill the ninja at the end of this and you’ll find a scale on the ground.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Sunken Valley scales
The Sunken Valley area has a number of scales that can be picked up in the following places:
- There’s a lake situated handily in the middle of the Riven Cave Idol and the Gun Fort idol with carp to slaughter.
- Once you’ve acquired the Diving Ability in the game, you’ll be able to use it to your advantage. In this same lake, use your ability to grab the scale just chilling out.
Sekiro Treasure Carp Scales Guide: Other scales
- Once you’ve passed the Temple Grounds idol, there’s a pool in the distance sandwiched between some buildings that has a carp to harvest.
- Killing the Guardian Ape and the Corrupted Monk in Sekiro will give you the ability to go to Ashina Castle via the Abandoned Dungeon. The Idol’s bridge sits above a body of water that holds a carp.
As we take a second crack at Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and work our way through the NG+ content, we’ll be sure to update this list with other locations of the fiendish fish so that none of them can escape our Sekiro treasure carp scales guide.